Monday, June 28, 2010

My Dear Dog Gizmo

Today I'm going to dedicate today's post to the most amazing dog and my absolute best friend.... GIZMO!!!!

This little guy has been a joy in my life the past three years and has gotten me through SO much. I saved Gizmo from a rescue shelter that euthanizes all their pets that don't get adopted... I was volunteering at a shelter for community service hours and of course surrounded by the cacophony of loud, noisy, drooly, and often unruly dogs. I have always liked dogs and dreamed of owning one, just never one that was enormous and drools...bleh! I was cleaning floors and doing my usual duties at the pound and I finally got to the end. That was when I saw him. The smallest, most timid dog in the entire pound. He was shaking like a leaf at all the noise. He seemed emaciated and very scared. Gizmo was the only dog not barking and pounding against the cages to be let loose. I motioned him to come over to me and I was able to slowly coax him to the edge of the cage. As he slowly ambled his way to me, I saw for the first time those great big eyes of his. They showed me a story and they also showed me fear. I looked at his cage and saw that he had been there for over three months...he was on the list to be put to sleep. Well I just COULDN'T let them do that to this little guy...so I adopted him on the spot that day! I look back on that day and still assert that it is the BEST decision I have ever made!

Gizmo is the kind of dog people hope to have. He is very quiet, loving, a cuddler, not drooly, and funny as can be! He is also a fantastic listener. There have been many a night when I'm at the point of tears or utterly frustrated with life and he jumps up on my bed and rests his paws and head on my knee and just listens to what I have to say. When I'm sick he stays next to me the whole time and never leaves my side.

Unfortunately, the poor thing has been INFESTED with fleas for the past six months...I have no clue how to get rid of them permanently as I have literally tried all courses of action and forms of medications! I give him baths regularly (which is a harrowing experience of its own as he refuses to stand still and I have to chase him around the shower) so I have no idea what I'm doing wrong! *sigh* I am just trying to do the best I can for my best friend. It seems to be going better after his recent bath....but it only lasts so long before the plague of the itching pestilence returns....they may be winning the battle...but they YET to win this war!

Oh well, I'm just excited to be done with work today and to go home and be greeted by that shaggy waggy tail and big round eyes that clearly say "I LOVE YOU!"

P.s.....He also poops when it thunderstorms...but it can't be helped...

Well that's all for now everyone : )

No comments:

Post a Comment