Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Favorite Song at the Moment: "I'll Be Seeing You" by Billie Holiday

Before you begin to read please click the link so you can experience the song as well! (left click and open in new window it is much easier!)

This song is the absolute essence of romance. The soft brass section in the background mixed with the soothing piano and music breaks makes it impossible not to get swept away in. It is the music of memories as well.

I listen to it and I'm transported back in time to when the summer days were carefree and fun and the only money I worried about was the dollar bill to wave down the ice cream truck. It takes me back to family that I don't see much anymore and friends that I long to be along side with. If I close my eyes I can still see all those family dinners at the old dining room table in our old house and I can hear everyone laughing again. I think of the nights spent in the basement with my brothers and sister watching our favorite movies and just enjoying each other's company as we all slowly fell asleep before the movie ended.

Sometimes I listen to this song and I think of my Great Grandma Weick. I didn't have much time with her, but the time I did have was so special and there are moments with her that I will never forget. So when I hear this song and think of her, I remember her laugh and the smell of her house and of the oatmeal pies from the rooster cookie jar.

Sometimes it is so good to remember these things which is why this song is right now a favorite. It gives me a chance to forget my troubles in the present, and to remember all the good times I've had in the past. Some people listen to this song and see it as the romantic anthem from "The Notebook," but I see it as a musical transport to times far gone. As I listen I let the movie reel of my memories carry me away to better days and I find myself feeling nostalgic and refreshed and able to face the day's worries. I will always hold these memories dear to my heart as well as the people I had them with.

"I'll be looking at the moon, But I'll be seeing you."

TNWM

2 comments:

  1. Hey it's Kalyn! :) I love love love this song too. It makes me cry every time. I actually was thinking about it so much today I finally downloaded it! I love to listen to it, lay down on my bed, close my eyes as the summer sun is just pouring in through the windows and I can feel a slight warmth from it. I dream about what life and love would have been like back then. Ahhh so refreshing :) I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sniffle, sniffle...GREAT song! And even greater memories:) Miss you Jer. It's actually like a physical ache sometimes when I think of the sweetness of those days gone by...I'm glad I got to spend my childhood with you little bro:) I'll be looking at the moon and thinking of you tonight.

    ReplyDelete